getting sick during the summer can be a real downer, especially when the sun is going strong and your friends are off at the beach getting their tan on. the best thing you can do is take a few days of r&r...and try to stay cool.
cold season decided to hit me early, so while i am stuck inside, fever and all, i thought i'd share with you some of my tried and true cold remedies, tailored towards the summer heat. take it from experience, drinking tea when it is 95 degrees outside is not enjoyable.
- emergen-c: when you are sick, vitamin c is the best thing you can put in your body. it not only strengthens your immune system but gives you a boost of energy. emergen-c is my go-to drink when i feel a cold coming on, but if my body gets the better of me, i continue a strict regimen of two a day to keep myself sane and on the fast track to recovery. tip: i only add about a 1/4 cup of ice cold water, it is more concentrated, fizzy and easy to get down.
- netflix: will be your best friend. when your whole body is aching and you can't move, fall asleep to your fav tv show, marathon style; or discover the endless selection of throwback movies from your childhood. being sick is a great time to reminisce.
- comfy pjs: nothing softens the blow of a sick day like your favorite pair of pajamas. find something soft and worn in to make watching those netflix movies that much more fun.
- strawberry orange smoothie: eating while you are sick can be a struggle. with the flu comes a loss of appetite, but neglecting your body will delay your recovery! because of the hot weather, i tend to avoid tea, but whipping up a frosty strawberry orange smoothie gives you a healthy dose of vitamin c and feels great on a sore throat. oh, and it is easy to make too.
- sleep: the best cure to a cold is sleep. if you are anything like me and have a million things running through your head at a time, being sick can really stress you out. i absolutely hate sitting around doing nothing. but take this time to appreciate that is something you need to do for yourself and it is perfectly acceptable to sleep from the hours of 11am to 5pm, trust me, it will help.